Director of Children’s and Youth Ministry
University Heights United Methodist Church is hiring a Director of Children’s and Youth ministry to provide leadership in the areas of spiritual formation, mission and outreach, and fellowship for young people from birth through twelfth grade. The Director will help to create a loving and welcoming atmosphere for children, youth and their families to explore and grow their relationship with God while challenging children and youth to respond to God’s call to service in the community and world.
UHUMC, located on the campus of the University of Indianapolis, has a passion for outreach to the local community and a reputation of musical excellence. The church currently serves fifteen children and youth but is strategizing for growth to the ministry. The church strives to be inclusive of all people as they come to discover their place and call in God’s work in the world. The vision of UHUMC is sharing Christ in Love, Hope, and Joy.
Qualifications for this position include:
- A growing relationship with Christ that models the walk of a faithful Christian and shows excitement to share the joy of God’s love.
- Understanding of United Methodist policy, worship, and theology, or the willingness to learn.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, develop, coordinate, manage, and implement a children’s/youth ministry.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, conflict management skills, social media skills, and computer skills.
- Proven ability to work effectively with children, youth, parents, staff, and teams of volunteers.
- Previous volunteer or work experience in children’s/youth ministry leadership required.
- CPR certification is required within first six months of hiring.
- Must be willing to undergo a criminal background check.
- Create an environment of inclusion and welcome to every child, youth, and family.
- Plan, develop, and implement an intergenerational ministry plan for discipleship of children and youth to include:
- Coordination of spiritual formation opportunities and ordering curriculum for children and youth.
- Engaging and varied activities of team building and fellowship gatherings.
- Opportunities for retreat.
- Experiences of Christian service and mission.
- Provide leadership on Sunday mornings through either teaching, supporting volunteers, or planning. Specific leadership responsibilities include:
- Presence in worship and shared leadership of Children’s Message.
- Scheduling volunteers for Children’s and Youth Sunday School classes.
- Assist with securing resources for Children’s and Youth Sunday School classes.
- Be present for youth and parents in a variety of ways (i.e. attendance at extracurricular activities, birthday celebrations, visitation, times of crisis, etc.)
- Mentor and nurture children and youth in helping them to develop their spiritual gifts. Utilize older youth in leadership opportunities.
- Advocate for children and youth and educate the congregation about the hopes, concerns, and needs of children and youth in our church and in the local community.
- Effectively use social media, email, website, Sunday announcements, newsletter, bulletin board, etc. to communicate with youth, parents, UHUMC congregation and the community about activities and opportunities of this important mission.
- Recruit, train and support program volunteers who work with children and youth in all aspects of ministry. Enlist adequate volunteer support for adult to youth/children ratios.
- Keep records of children and youth participation and manage operating budgets for children and youth ministries.
- Ensure that UHUMC’s Child Protection Policy is observed in all children’s and youth ministry settings.
- Attendance at appropriate team meetings to which this position reports: Staff Meetings and Administrative Council.
Stretch Opportunities include:
- Formation of resources and opportunities for families to engage throughout the week as they interact with one another and grow in faith.
- Explore opportunities to partner with other youth or children’s ministries.
- Strategize with church staff to create outreach to new children’s and youth populations.
- Coordinate Confirmation classes in partnership with the Lead Pastor.
This is a part time hourly job, with an average of 12 hours expected weekly and an annual compensation of $10,500.
We believe this position is an excellent opportunity for you to grow in faith, expand your leadership skills, and develop a ministry that will profoundly impact the lives of children and youth. You will be welcomed into a congregation that celebrates discipleship and education. A supportive staff will value your insight into moving the vision forward. Be encouraged and apply for this wonderful opportunity today. We look forward to meeting you.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to:
University Heights UMC
4002 Otterbein Ave.
Indianapolis, IN 46227